Sunday, May 31, 2015

21st Birthday Celebration!

To celebrate my 21st birthday, my host family organized a birthday dinner, which 
turned out to be one of my most favorite evenings in Paris. Not only was it the same
group from Mont Saint Michel (the Galls + Wanning + Aaron), but my host family
also invited their American cousin, Kent, to the celebration as well. Champagne 
and foie gras was served during the aperitif, home-made tartare du boeuf (per my request) and fries 
for dinner, and homemade chocolate flour less cake and candles
for dessert!

Even though I told my host family that I didn't want any gifts
as having the opportunity to stay in their apartment was a gift in itself,
they surprised me with a shopping bag from Claude Pierlot during
the aperitif. 
She told me that she wanted me to have a fashionable and
Parisian article of clothing from a nice French label
(as Claude Pierlot is no H&M) to have and to wear
upon leaving France. 

And behold, a black and white graphic tee of the
Arc de Triomphe from Claude Pierlot.
In other words, a gift that was à la fois perfect, unexpected, and much appreciated.
2 notes: the picture of the shirt is blurry and my host
family also bought me a black and white photo book of Paris as well! 


Getting ready for dinner 


According to my host family, Mrs. Gall's family-recipe for tartare du boeuf is
among one of the best in Paris, and after having eaten it (and subsequently ordering
it later at different restaurants), I too can say with certainty that it was the best that I
ate during my time in France. 

The chocolate flour less cake that my host brother, Gautier, graciously prepared
for me following candle and "Happy Birthday"

Smiles all around after dinner and watching a UEFA soccer match.
While the evening began at 7:30, it didn't officially end until midnight as Aaron
and Kent stayed to chat with my host family just until then!
Also, Aaron was so gracious as to get me two little gifts for my birthday
(chocolates and a cute beach straw hat),
the latter of which was put to great use during our trip to the South of France.  


No comments:

Post a Comment