Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Final Words and Remerciements

Now that I have officially left Paris, 
I can say with certainty that those 5 months
were among the best of my life. From the people and the places
to the food and the history, I gained quite a bit of insight into 
French culture, and it was through these experiences and exchanges
that allowed me to truly immerse myself in this culture. 

This being said, I have now been asked a few times in what ways my experience
abroad has changed or influenced me, and while I sometimes
a struggle to answer that question, I would say that this experience has :

-- Made me more aware of where I come (i.e. the US) from and how it is perceived; 

-- Inspired me to learn other languages while continuing to improve my French;

-- Made me understand what it takes to live in a city, 
especially in terms of commuting, and that I can do it;

-- Shown me that I really would like to return to France in the years following graduation;

-- Influenced some of my mannerisms and my way of communicating;

But most importantly, this experience has shown that I can
adapt to new and foreign situations and if I choose to either travel alone
or move to another city in the US or country in the world, 
I know and have what it takes to do so. 


***

Now, I would like to take the time to thank all the people
that helped make my experience in Paris so wonderful and who
influenced and shaped the insights listed above. 



La Famille Monomakhoff:
Words cannot describe how grateful and
appreciative I am for what you did and exposed me to this
semester.

The Barbaresi family for love and support
(as well as financing my semester!)

Aaron for your companionship, support,
humour, curiosity, and insight.
{and if you are wondering why I chose this photo, it
captures two of your favorite things about Paris: the
sweets and the hot chocolate ;) }

My Grandmother for not only being one of my most
loyal blog followers, but also paying for my room and board
this semester 

Pictured here and above is her former address and
apartment when she too was here studying at the age of 21

Madame Selle and Arthur for making my internship
experience so enjoyable and meaningful

The Middlebury personnel for helping me
navigate my academics and for providing advice and
support at each step of the way 

Jennifer (far left), one of my language partners,
for the moments and laughs we spent at cafés and in clubs
(as well as introducing me to many of your friends)

Allyson, my other language partner, for
all the great times we had at museums, cafés, and
just walking around Paris
(as well as inviting me to your new apartment to hang out with you and your boyfriend)


No comments:

Post a Comment