Sunday, May 31, 2015

France Trip Part #1: Annecy

Upon finishing my academic semester, I embarked on a 
2 week regional tour of France to see and experience the other 
parts of this country I had not gotten a chance to visit and had heard 
positive things about. What's more, I found this trip to be in 
line with my goals for this semester as I truly wanted to
know and experience Paris and France first and foremost
before visiting and traveling to other European countries. 
One must remember that Paris is not all that France has to offer:
France is home to many diverse regions and cultures apart from Paris, and thus, 
I planned my trip accordingly in attempt to expose myself to some of them. 

I began in Annecy, a small, medieval lake-side village in the French Alps, 
then went to Lyon in the Rhone Valley, Avignon and Arles
in Provence, and lastly visited several sea-side towns in the Cote d'Azur
before taking the TGV back to Paris for the weekend and returning to 
California the following Monday. While I was alone
for the first two cities (Aaron would join me later), I nonetheless
had a very nice and leisurely time and was able
to reflect a lot on my semester, my summer plans, and 
what I wanted to accomplish my senior year. 

Overall, this trip was full of many fun and memorable experiences and
was, for me, the perfect way to end my semester abroad in France. 


MONDAY, MAY 18TH 
After taking a night train to Annecy, I arrived quite early in the
morning and thus profited from the empty streets and crisp and clear
morning. 



Annecy is often called "The Venice of France"
as there are a few canals that separate the little islands 


This building, which as you may remark is shaped as a boat,
served as a mint for the dukes of Geneva in the 14th century,
a legal courtroom in the 16th century, and a prison
in the 17-18th centuries for the dukes of Savoie.

Annecy's most famous feature: its lake 





An elderly couple was very kind to take a few pictures
of me, but note that these are few and far between. 






An example of France's mark of approval in regards to our wines 

My youth hostel's backyard 

and dog!

For the rest of the day, I rented a bike to complete
a 20 mile circuit around the lake. This bike tour
was one of the most picturesque of my life as I
truly had the chance to see and experience the lake's
beauty. 




Since I took a train to reach Annecy, I was able to rent
a bike for the full day for 5 euros from the train station.
The catch? the down-payment in the case that
something happened to the bike was 250 euros.
But fortunately, nothing did happen. 


While I do love Pomona's field, I
was slightly jealous of theirs'...

Since biking is very, very popular and intense here in Annecy,
bikers have their own well-paved paths that even pedestrians
are not allowed to use!


Apart from biking and water sports, the other popular
sporty and outdoor activity is paragliding.
During my tour around the lake, I
must have saw around 30 paragliders
gliding through the cloudless blue sky. 



When traveling alone, one or two selflies is acceptable

Taking a two hour nap in the shade 








Okay....
Very stupidly, I did not put on any sunscreen on my body
and thus, finished my bike tour unable to move my legs
 and arms. Not only was I in pain for the following few days,
but as I write this blog two weeks later, I am still
peeling and have horrific farmer tans.
Word to the wise: always wear sunscreen in Annecy
and in other sunny places. 


Around 8:00 that night, the clouds started
to roll in 





A traditional Savoie dinner:
Tartiflette (ham, cheese, and potatoes)

Enchanting, isn't it?


TUESDAY, MAY 19TH (My 21st birthday!)

and this weather...



After spending a leisurely morning,
I decided to go on a hike in the mountains and
reflect upon my life up until this point and going forward 

A view of the lake from a plateau

Treating myself for dinner on my birthday 

And since I have now adopted French customs,
I ordered cheese for dessert 
WEDNESDAY, MAY 20TH

Visiting and touring the chateau

Fondue for lunch 

The view of the town from the chateau 

A break in the cloud just as I am
about to leave for Lyon 

Magnificent, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment